Job Posting – Organize with Progress Iowa!
Progress Iowa seeks an organizer to manage a grassroots campaign under the direction of the Executive Director. The person we’re looking for has experience leading a team, lives and breathes grassroots organizing, and has excellent oral and written communications skills.
Progress Iowa is a multi-issue progressive advocacy organization that combines cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard hitting earned media strategies. Our mission is to provide a strong, credible voice in advancing progressive solutions to critical community problems. But we don’t do that on our own – we work as a communications team for the entire progressive community.
Our Organizer will stay busy:
- Effectively project the organization’s mission through the field program
- Understand Progress Iowa’s goals; create and implement plans to meet those goals
- Train and recruit volunteers to advocate for progressive values
- Launch a sustained effort to change the conversation about health care and tax issues in Iowa among the public, press, and grasstop influentials
- Recruit at least 2,500 Iowans to take an online action
- Engage people recruited online to take additional action (attending a training, a town hall, writing a letter to the editor, etc.)
- Generate earned media by organizing press conferences, petition deliveries, effective birddogging, and other tactics as determined
- Travel throughout the state as needed
The person we’re looking for also has:
- Experience as an organizer or in advocacy campaigns
- Excellent organizational skills
- Knowledge of canvassing/organizing strategy
- Experience identifying and developing new organizers
- Demonstrated ability to hire, train, and retain volunteers
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Ability to work well with a variety of people; strong commitment to diversity
- Positive, go-getter attitude
- Ability to innovate and take responsibility
This position is based in Des Moines and ends June 30, 2018, with the potential for longer term employment. Salary is very competitive and commensurate with experience, health care is included. To apply, submit your resume and any relevant work material (be creative!) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Progress Iowa is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.