Shut Down Trump’s Lies
It’s no secret that Donald Trump lies. A lot. Like “7,645 false or misleading claims made by Trump since taking office” a lot.
But tonight, all the major networks are giving him airtime to share those malicious lies, to cover for a government shutdown that is entirely his fault (and one that he said he’d gladly accept blame for).
We want to make sure that his lies aren’t the final word. That’s where you come in. Check out our guide to Trump’s lies, then share them online with your friends and family. You can also follow Progress Iowa on Facebook and Twitter as we respond as well.
Here are five lies that Trump is likely to say tonight and five facts to rebut his nonsense:
1. Trump’s Lie: Some former presidents “have privately told him that they should have built the wall.”
What’s Actually Happening: All living ex-presidents have gone on the record to rebut Trump’s claim. President Carter said, “I have not discussed the border wall with President Trump, and do not support him on the issue.”
2. Sarah Sanders’s Lie: “CBP stopped nearly 4,000 known or suspected terrorists from crossing the southern border in 2018.”
What’s Actually Happening: “U.S. Customs and Border Protection encountered only six immigrants at ports of entry on the U.S-Mexico border in the first half of fiscal year 2018 whose names were on a federal government list of known or suspected terrorists.”
3. Trump’s Lie (that he’s repeated 212 times): Mexico will pay for the wall.
What’s Actually Happening: Come on, dude.
4. Trump’s Lie: The wall will be built from steel slats and that he never said it would be built from concrete.
What’s Actually Happening: For the past three years, he’s said that the wall would be built from concrete.
5. Trump’s Lie: The wall is already being built.
What’s Actually Happening: It’s not.
The truth is that the American people don’t want a wall. Congress doesn’t want a wall. Former Presidents don’t want a wall. Most Republicans don’t want a wall.
When you build a wall, you cut yourself off from the rest of the world, completely alone. That’s where President Trump finds himself, alone with an unpopular wall that no one wants but him.
Tonight he’ll try to lie his way out of his terrible policy decisions. Don’t let him.